Saturday, October 17, 2009

Shaqeel's Birth Story

Maybe I should start with Shaqeel's birth story. Please bare with me, this is going to be looooooooooooooong..as long as my labour!

I was already on my 39th week pregnancy, to be exact it was 39 weeks and 2 days when I had Shaqeel. It was friday night. Me and Emil had our last dinner before we became parents at our favorite restaurant in Ampang. They served really hot and spicy Mexican food and very tasty too. From what I read, spicy food induces labour so I guess that chicken marinated in chilli and the beef fajitas I had were partly responsible.

Las Carretas, Ampang

I was already anxious to have the baby by that time. My due date was nearing. I did not know what to expect. Will I know what contraction feels like? I was afraid that the baby will come out when I'm in the car or on the bed or in the toilet. Yeah, right. Everyone I ask ed told me that you will know if and when you are having contraction. And yes, they were right. There's no mistaking what contraction feels like!

Anyway, we went to the hospital straight away. I was admitted at 5am and upon checking, I was already 5 cm. I was excited. This is going to be smooth, I thought. By 11am, I should be holding this baby on my arms, I'll be crying out of pure joy and I'll be gushing like nobody's business on my baby's cuteness. Unfortunately, that was not what happened.

By 11am, I was only 6 cm! The pain was still bearable. It really felt like cirit pain but multiply it 1000 times hehe. I was frustrated because they had to induce me. Arghhhh takutnye! I heard a lot of horror stories regarding induced labour.

After they induced me at about 12pm, I measured 7cm. Only 3 cm to go. This should be fast. Again I thought wrong.

By 2pm I remember feeling like dying! The pain was intense. I begged for epidural but was denied because I was already 7cm. I took ethonox (the laughing gas) and somewhat relieved the pain. You were supposed to take the gas when you can feel a contraction coming but I was also taking it in between contractions. I was highhhhhh and it was gooooooooood....

Highhhhhhhh

By about 5pm I was already 10cm and felt the need to push. Pushing was great because the sensation was like passing stool. Emil was with me all this while and I have to give credit to him for being really supportive. He even coached me how to breathe thanks to the antenatal class we attended.

The baby was already crowning but I was really tired of pushing. No wonder they call it labour! In the end Dr Hamid had to vacuum the baby out and I remember being injected with anesthetic. The Dr asked whether it was painful and I said it was. Then he said "Laaaaa...baru inject..belum lagi beranakkkk" And everyone laughed, including Emil. Sheeeeeesh....

527pm was the moment our lives changed forever. Shaqeel Aidin was born and he is absolutely perfect.

The cutest baby in the world ever =)

Shaqeel Aidin bin Shahemil, 250709, 2.72kg

2 comments:

Unknown said...

aaahhhh...NOW only I know your birth part...do u realize we never really talk about it in our conversations? i've been wanting to know how u did it it....i told u babe...epidural before 6...before 6!!!! ahahahaha.....

Baby Shaq said...

haha..that's true..if there's a second one, I'll opt for epidural walaupun masih 0cm huhuhuhu